For cake decorating class last week, I had to bring a whole 8″ cake to decorate.
Let’s get one thing straight. I specialize in cookies, brownies and cheesecake. I honestly can’t remember the last time I made a whole cake.
But I used this awesome recipe from one of my favourite bloggers, Smitten Kitchen, and it turned out very tasty and perfect for decorating! 🙂
Whisk up the dry ingredients.
And curdled. It’s okay though, apparently that’s a good thing.
Pour into your cake pan(s), and bake.
It looks so cute and puffy, and it smells like a birthday party. Awesome!
Here’s the finished product. Moist, fluffy and buttery cake. (I filled it with Nutella. Mmmmmm.)
And just for hilariousness, I’m going to embarrass myself and show you what my cake looked like, fully decorated.
There was a mishap. There was actually a pretty cute little piped cupcake on top, but I squished it with my lid, and this is the finished product. Very niiiiiiiice.
Thanks again to Smitten Kitchen for another stunninnnnn’ recipe!
Ingredients: (for two 8″ cakes)
4 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp butter extract, or vanilla
4 eggs, room temp
2 cups buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 8″ cake pans.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Cream together butter and sugar until light and lfuffy. Beat in butter/vanilla extract. Beat in eggs one at a time. And lastly, beat in the buttermilk.
4. Add in flour mixture in 3 additions until just incorporated.
5. Pour batter into pans, and bake for 35-40 mins. A toothpick inserted into the middle will come out nice and clean. Let cool for a few minutes, then run a knife around the edge of the cake to make it easier to remove.
6. Flip the cakes out after letting them cool completely, frost and bedazzle!